Do you struggle with falling asleep peacefully? If yes, then the essential oils may help you sleep better. Most of the times, people overlook scents as a tool for better sleep. These oils are inexpensive and easy to add to your daily routine. Moreover, you will find a wide range of essential oils that help you relax and sleep better. They create a positive impact on your mental and physical health, making it easier to fall asleep and sleep more peacefully.
So if you have ever come across the collection of essential oils at a natural foods store or the farmer’s market, you may have become a little surprised with the versatility of different scents coming from them. You can choose some of the best ones for better sleep from this huge array of scents. They will help improve your sleep, lift mood, relieve stress, and boost performance. Hence, in this article, we thought of introducing you to six essential oils that help you sleep better.
- Vanilla: Many people are fond of the sweet scent of vanilla. Also, it possesses a long history of use for stress relief and relaxation. Moreover, vanilla is known to have a sedative effect on the body. It reduces restlessness and hyperactivity, lowers blood pressure, and quiets the nervous system. Vanilla also relieves depression and anxiety, which ultimately helps you relax and uplift the mood. So if you love the smell of vanilla that comes from ice-creams or cakes, then you can get the vanilla scent for better sleep.
- Lavender: Lavender is the most popular essential oil that people buy for relaxation and better sleep. Moreover, the doctors and therapists also recommend this oil to the majority of their patients suffering from sleep deprivation. Lavender has a soothing scent, which is known to be associated with sleep and relaxation.Among all the essential oils, lavender is the most rigorously studied essential oil. Detailed research and study show that lavender possesses anxiety-reducing properties. Besides, it has many beneficial effects on depression and can also help relieve the pain. Lavender even has a sedative effect, which means that it can help you fall asleep easily. Various studies on lavender’s effectiveness show that it helps in improving sleep quality as well as increasing daytime awareness.
- Jasmine: Jasmine gives a sweet floral scent that is known to have a serious sleep-promoting ability. Some studies also show that jasmine improves sleep quality and reduces restless sleeping. Besides, it increases daytime awareness and makes you feel fresh. Apart from all the sleep benefits of jasmine oil, it is also known to lower anxiety levels, which are more effective than lavender oil.
- Rose and Geranium: Rose and Geranium are two other essential oils that contain similar floral scents. These oils are popularly known for reducing stress and anxiety levels, either on their own or with a combination of other essential oils. Some of the therapists also recommend valerian as an essential oil to help you sleep better. But its aroma can be appealing to only a few people as it is highly stinky. Instead, you can go for the rose and geranium essential oils as they help you sleep better.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood is the most commonly used essential oil for relaxation and better sleep. This oil contains a rich, woody, and earthy scent that comes with an ancient history and provides many benefits. Scientific research shows that sandalwood is effective in easing anxiety symptoms. Moreover, it has sedative effects that help in reducing wakefulness and increasing the amount of non-REM sleep.But you need to remember that everyone reacts differently to scents. Thus, sandalwood can sometimes lead to an increase in alertness and wakefulness in some people, even while it is offering physical relaxation. So it may provide sleep benefits to some people while it may promote wakefulness and attentive relaxation in other people. It is recommended to try the sandalwood oil for one day and night to see how your body reacts to it. If you feel wakeful, then sandalwood wouldn’t be right for your night time, but you can use it during the day for relaxation and alertness.
- Citrus: Citrus, similar to sandalwood, is a group of scents that stimulate or promote sleep, depending on individual body reaction and the type of citrus oil used by you. The lemon oil in this category is known for anxiety and depression relieving effects. Besides, Bergamot, which is a type of orange, is also known to relieve anxiety and improve sleep quality.Citrus can also help some people fall asleep easily, while some people might find it refreshing but not sleep-promoting. If you feel the citrus scent as stimulating, then don’t use it before bedtime, but you can use it during the day as it will help you feel relaxed and refreshed, which is beneficial for your mental health.
How can you use the essential oils for better sleep?
You can use the essential oils in different ways to reap their health benefits. Below are some of the ways that you can choose as per your preference.
- You can use them with light aromatherapy candles as they disperse the fragrance in your room.
- You can put a few drops of these essential oils on certain parts of your body like the chest, neck, forehead, hands, wrist, or feet. Remember that the human skin is sensitive to undiluted essential oils, so ensure you mix the essential oils with carrier oil like grape seed, olive oil, sweet almond oil, or coconut oil before applying them to your body.
- Pouring a few drops in an air diffuser that disperses the fragrance in your room will also help you get the aroma of these essential oils.
- You can add essential oils to water and spray them to your room or pillow.
- Add a few drops of essential oils with Epsom salt in your bath before going to bed.
Remember to do a patch test if you apply the essential oils on your skin and ensure you read all the terms mentioned on the respective products.
The essential oils mentioned in this article are tried and tested by many people around the world. They are known to promote sleep and provide relaxation to the human body effectively. So make sure you try them and get a good night’s sleep with a great aroma in your room.